Some days we just want to put away all those tight skirts and put on the best plus size shorts that make us comfy. If you’re a plus-size woman, you might be thinking that shorts just aren’t for you. The myth that women over a certain size “shouldn’t” wear certain types of clothing is BS. These days, there are a plethora of stylish, yet comfy plus size shorts for every one.
So let’s clear away the BS. You’re pretty regardless of sizes, and you deserve the best plus size out there. So throw away the sticky skinny pants and let your legs feel the air. Here are 20 pairs of the best shorts for plus size women that The Slidebar Fullerton has chosen to review. And we have a small guide for you to select the best one for yourself.
Best Plus Size Shorts For Hiking
Best Plus Size Shorts For Beach Trips
Best Plus Size Shorts For Daily Wear
** Below, you will find our detailed reviews of the best Plus Size Shorts, but you can also click these following links to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
- Satisfy all Females’ Desire for Beauty: QGGQDD’s plus size shorts come in wide range sizes from X-Large to 4X-Large, perfectly fitting all different women’s shapes, including maternity ladies. Stretchy enough - won’t cause pressure marks on your thighs, and dedicated to bringing out confidence for every plump woman.
- Buttery Soft, Gentle Hug: These workout shorts are made from super soft premium fabric with a hint of spandex, feel like a second-skin layer, ensure no itching, friction or, chafing, keep you in absolute comfort through your day of errands or a leisurely night at home.
- For easy-going comfort, you'll love these jersey shorts
- Wide ribbed waistband with no drawcord
- A Must-Have: Biker shorts are a great wardrobe basic, and they can be statement pieces, too. Try out a fun print, like the leopard/ camouflage shorts, and style it with bright pieces to play up the fun energy. Pair with a tunic, tee-shirt, blazer and a denim jacket is fashion style. Besides, they are great for coverage under a skirt or dress.
- High Waist & Tummy Control: The women’s shorts have a 4.5" wide waistband area which are better for tummy control and show your body lines well. High rise design offers maximum coverage while bending and stretching, and reduces the appearance of muffin top, no roll and do not ride up.
- Comfortable material: made from 95% cotton and 5% polyester, the soft sports shorts with nice breathability and good sweat absorption, which are skin-friendly and indeformable, elastic and smooth, very comfortable for you to wear
- Slim version: the free draping design makes human bodies slimed and the white covered edge that elongates your leg on the vision effect; wide elastic cord reduces the oppression on your waist
- Lightweight woven fabric with crepe brief
- Inside adjustable drawstring waist for custom fit
- Sits at the waist, relaxed in seat and thigh
- Bermuda short in stretch denim featuring stitched back pockets and button closure
- Distressed Shorts for Curvy Women & Stretchy Soft Denim Material--plus size shorts for women,sexy shorts for women party club night made of stretch denim jeans material,ultra stretchy and comfortable，close to your skin；Machine Wash & Hang to Dry；Pls checked the size chart picture first before ordering.
- High Waisted Shorts Denim Curvy & “2 Buttons Up” Zipper Fly Button Closure, Convenient to Wear---High waisted plus size shorts with pockets for women with Zipper Fly Button Closure,easy to put on or take off, Convenient to Wear and still feel comfortable over your belly ；high rise design with good elastic, super comfy and Perfect for curvy women .
- RELAXED FIT. These women's bermuda shorts feature a mid-rise and a relaxed fit through the seat and thigh. Hitting just above the knee for an unrestricted fit, these cargo shorts are perfect for warm days.
- STRETCH COMFORT. When you're wearing shorts, you want to feel relaxed and confident. Meet the Avey Cargo Bermuda. The perfect blend of fineline twill stretch fabric and a knit waistband that moves with you for all-day comfort.
- Body Positivity & Confidence: If you're in a mid to plus size body, if you have any going into thunder thighs whatsoever, TNNZEET biker shorts for women are designed specifically for plus-size women or maternity who want to get fit. We have a wide range of sizes L/XL-4XL. Stretchy enough - won’t cause pressure marks on your thighs and dedicated to bringing out confidence for every plump woman
- Multi-2 Pack & Spice Up Your Wardrobe: Mid length females’ shorts make for a great accessory to many different outfits, including skirts, shorts, and dresses, low-impact fitness like yoga, running, athletic, cycling, gym, workout. It is a necessary list in wardrobe with fashionable and simple design. Of course, wearing alone is also a good idea. So go ahead–buy a pair and a spare!
- Stretchy & Comfy Denim Jeans Material--womens shorts plus size made of Stretchy & Comfy Denim Jeans Material,super comfortable and stretchy to wear; these plus size shorts denim are a little loose , but not baggy.pls checked the size chart of left picture before Placing order.
- High Waisted & Zipper Fly Button Closure, Convenient to Wear---High waisted plus size denim shorts with Zipper Fly Button Closure,easy to put on or take off, Convenient to Wear and still feel comfortable over your belly ；high rise design with good elastic, super comfy and Perfect for curves.
Reviews: 20 Best Plus Size Shorts For Women
Available in 7 colors and many sizes for plus size women, these shorts from ellos are very comfortable to wear. The fabric is lightweight, soft and has high quality. We especially like the cream color. These shorts are versatile. They can be worn in everyday wear or you can dress up with nice shoes and T-shirts. The cargo pockets are wide enough for phone, keys and wallet. These shorts are perfect for women with larger thighs. The downsides of them are the threads are loose and the material can be slightly noisy.
These paper bag shorts are available in a wide range of colors and sizes, making them one of the best plus size shorts for women. The fabric is comfortable and stretchy. The material is thick enough, so it’s not see-through. It also dries very quickly. The bow is made of the same stretchy material. These shorts look very casual yet elegant. They are actually high-waisted which can hide the belly area well, and they aren't too short either.
Available in many pretty colors, patterns and plus sizes, these shorts from Romwe are one of the best plus size shorts on the market. They aren’t tight, and are flowy like chiffon but more scratchy. The scratchy feeling might be not for sensitive people. They’re super stretchy but they look structured enough. They have acceptable length for parties. If you have thicker thighs and smaller waist, these shorts will look good on you.
These denim shorts from Woman Within are available in many large sizes. They're roomy but not baggy. They have just the right amount of stretch and comfort. The pockets are deep. The cuff is a well made detail. These shorts are thick denim, so it might be better to put them on on cold days. Very chic and comfortable to wear. The only downside that we found is that this brand doesn’t have photos of plus size models, although it has made a lot of decent shorts for plus size women. Plus size women may feel that those shorts aren’t made for them, but the truth is they are. It’s also harder for plus size people to imagine how these shorts look like on them.
These shorts from Lee fit very well. They are stretchy enough to move with your body. The colors and form look very nice. You can opt to cuff or uncuff the bottom of these shorts. The shorts have a flex motion waistband, so they are super stretchy. They are available in only 3 colors, many sizes for larger people.
The fabric is breathable and the elastic band makes them very stretchy and comfy. You can move around and cross your legs easily.The back pockets have this ugly stitching on them and there are no flaps on them. They are fake pockets so you can’t put anything in. I can bend, twist and cross my legs easily. They hold up well in the washing machine and don't get wrinkled easily. They don’t absorb lints and dirts. There might be some differences between black and cafe options.
These Columbia Women's Sandy River Cargo shorts are incredibly comfortable. The fabric is light and dries quickly. The cargo-like pocket is only large enough for but some tissue and change. These are super lightweight and perfect for everyday wear or sports. They aren’t clingy and tight. They have the right length and don’t ride up your legs. The waist is elastic and it comes with an adjustable belt. A classic, yet stylish pair of shorts for plus size women.
The combination of rayon and cotton in these shorts make them so comfy. The material is nice and thick enough without making the shorts heavy. There’s a button to lengthen the shorts. The waist line is stretchy enough for you to move around comfortably. The color is great. The back pockets are just for decoration. They are sewn shut.
These shorts are lightweight and comfortable. They are actually quite warm and can be worn for cooler weather. They fit just right. They are stretchy without getting out of shape. They wrinkle easily, so they’ll be more suitable for home wear. The scoop pockets are deep and are easy to use. The shorts hold up in the wash very well. The sizing can be confusing, so you need to check the size carefully.
These shorts from Woman Within comes with many sizes for plus size women. The legs fit nicely and the length is enough to cover big thighs. The elastic band is wide and stretchy enough to make you comfy and not make your belly look huge. The pockets are deep and roomy for some essentials. The shorts hold up well in the wash and there’s a slight shrinking because of the cotton fabric. This pair of shorts will give you all the comfort and coverage that you need for daily wear.
These shorts are made for women with smaller waist and larger butt. The material is soft, loose, lightweight and comfortable. It doesn’t pick up any lint. They are a little baggy, which is great to wear around the house and neighborhood on hot days. The pockets are nice and deep enough for a phone. The length of these shorts is just right. There is shrinkage and pilling after washing, so you may need to be careful when washing them.
These shorts fit true to size and are very comfortable. The material is soft enough to put on all day. The flower stitching is really cute. They have a classic design, which makes them great for everyday wear. They are stretchy enough for easy movement, and they don’t get wrinkles. Available at an affordable price and many colors as well as sizes.
Available in pale, trendy colors, these capris fit perfectly for plus size women. The fabric is very comfortable, lightweight and stretchy. They are definitely well made. They help form your curves and still, you don’t feel tight or uncomfy. They’re versatile and can be used for many occasions. Because of their longer length, you can opt for these capris if you want to hide your larger thighs and calves.
These shorts from Rekucci have a nice length, neither too short nor too long. They ride up a little, but not too much. The fabric is soft and sturdy enough. The colors are beautiful and don’t bleed in the wash. The shorts are stretchy enough so you can cross your legs, bend and twist easily. They are proportioned perfectly, too. Nothing is too tight, and they help slim you down a little. The waistband is durable and smooth, but it sometimes can emphasize your belly a bit.
These shorts from Libin are so comfortable, extremely light weight and dry quickly. They’re very stretchy and are great for hiking days. They wash off easy, are water resistant, and have UPF 50+ sun protection. You can sit down on a wet rock and your butt won't get wet at all. The dirt can be wiped off easily. The shorts are long enough so they don't ride up. There are 5 pockets, which are great for small items when hiking.
This Gloria Vanderbilt Bermuda Short sits at waist line with many pockets. This is a pretty high rise shorts, giving you the right fit and the comfy feeling. It also does a great job of flatten out your belly area. Its classic, active look goes well with many outfits and accessories. It’s also versatile for many occasions. It’s available in 3 colors and many sizes for plus size women.
This pair of shorts fits perfectly and flatters your figure. It’s actually form fitting. The material is made of soft cotton. It’s skin-friendly, light and stretchy, which is great for everyday wear and for exercises. The pockets are large enough to put a big phone in, and they don’t look baggy. The leg opening is not very big, which helps form your butt and legs better. If you’re looking for a comfy option for exercises, this is a great option.
These shorts from Woman Within are made of nice material. They don't rise up or down in the back or in the front. The material is durable so the shorts can be worn for a long time. The elastic band is very comfortable and stretchy. The pockets are comfy, lightweight and big enough for small stuff. It’s not clingy and it gives you plenty of room to move.
These shorts are made specifically for swimming. They quickly and it’s long enough if you don’t want to show your thighs. They also have built-in underwear, which is convenient. The material is nice, stretchy and can hold up well in pool chemicals, as well as in the washing machine. It also dries very quickly and it’s very comfortable. The legs stay in place and don’t ride up or roll up.
Here’s the last item in the list of the best plus size shorts. This one has high quality and fits well. The material is light, soft and dries quickly. It can get wrinkled at first, but get better after the wash. The pockets are deep and large enough for phones and keys. The shorts hold up well in the wash. It’s available in 4 pretty colors and many sizes for large women. It’s versatile and can be worn on many occasions, from casual events to holiday parties.
The Guide To Choosing The Best Plus Size Shorts Types
We know that when it comes to choosing clothes that show off our bodies, we can still feel like we aren’t made for those clothes. So we hope that this guide will help you find the best plus size shorts without feeling frustrated, the shorts that emphasize your figure and are stylish and comfortable to put on.
Shorts come in a variety of styles and lengths. Each has its own characteristics and emphasizes different parts of your body. Some are made to hide the large tummy, some minimize the thighs, some are to show off the legs. We’ll talk about different types and lengths of shorts to help you understand which ones you like and suit you best.
Bermuda or Knee-length shorts are the most flattering for rectangle or hourglass body types. They are slightly fitted. The other body shapes should avoid them, since they could feel too tight around the hips or waist. You should pay attention to leg width for these shorts. Plus size women often look for wide leg shorts. If the legs are too wide, your thighs will look bulkier. If you have smaller top and bigger bottom, you can wear a fitted bermuda shorts to balance out your body.
Mid-length shorts reach just above the knee to mid-thigh. They are the most common length for shorts, and also work well with most body shapes. Knee-length is better if you want to hide your thighs. People with shorter thighs and longer calves should avoid these because they give an unbalanced look.
Capri shorts are longer than the knee and end at mid-calf. Capri shorts look better on long-leg women. If you have shorter legs, you can wear capris that reach your knee.
Short shorts are often between 4” and 5” in length. They make your legs look thicker.
There are even micro shorts, which are even shorter, showing off the curves of the butt. If you have large thighs, we wouldn’t recommend these as they don’t have enough coverage for large areas.
Cargo shorts are shorts with cargo pockets. These shorts look casual and the pockets may make your thigh look bulky. The cargo pockets can be useful for storing essentials or accessories.
Board shorts are normally shorter than the knee. They’re light and look like men’s swim shorts. They can have cargo pockets. These shorts are great for beach trips. You can mix them with a tank top or a T-shirt to achieve a sporty and active look.
A contoured waist on shorts is what curvy ladies need. Most plus size women have smaller waist and bigger hips. Contoured waist shorts taper and eliminate the gape at the waist.
Cuffed shorts suit women who have smaller thighs and calves. If you have bigger thighs and smaller calves, cuffed capris can help balance them out. If your legs are thick, you should avoid cuffed shorts.
Culottes have been very trendy among women recently. Culottes have flowy and wide leg holes. If you’re a fan of skirts and hate the friction between the thighs, culottes are for you. Shorter culottes may add bulk to your lower body, and can be mixed with heavier tops to balance out.
Cut-off shorts are ultra short. They often have a distressed look. The distressed details draw the eyes to the thighs, so these shorts suit women who want to show their legs.
Just like their names, flat front shorts are flat in the front. They make your waistline look flatter, so they are great for women who want to hide their belly. You can also wear high-waisted flat front shorts to avoid muffin top effect.
Fold over shorts have a folded waistband. If you have a large tummy, make sure that the fold over waist is simple and stays flat.
Pleated shorts have pleats in the front and the length varies. Pleats draw attention, so if you want to hide certain areas, you shouldn’t leave a pleat there. Look for a pair without too many pleats, folds or complicated details.
Roll-up shorts have a rolled edge. Just like cuffed styles, details like this would make certain areas bulky. It’d be ideal if you want to balance out a smaller bottom to a larger top.
Paper Bag Shorts
Paper bag shorts emphasize smaller waist. The fabric gathers at the waist like a closed paper bag. You often see a tie or belt at the waist for these shorts.
It can be intimidating looking at all these types of shorts. But to choose the perfect ones, you need to know what they are and what types suit you best. So take your time because you deserve the best shorts for hot days.
Of all those types of shorts, how do you style them? We’ve found a video that we think can be useful for you:
Conclusion: Our Top 3 Picks
Finding the best plus size shorts that will keep you comfy while still looking nice is no easy feat. From hiking shorts to cute paper bag shorts, you need to search for options that flatter your body type without pinching or squeezing your lower body.
There are various types of shorts available on the market, so it can be overwhelming to look for the best shorts for plus size body. At the end of this post, we pick 3 options that we love most based on their features, pros and cons:
Best Plus Size Shorts For Hiking
- Lightweight, breathable, quick drying and water resistant. UPF 50+ for excellent UV protection
- Made of thin yet durable fabric, comfort 4-way stretch improves range of motion
Best Plus Size Shorts For Beach Trips
- 96%Polyamide+4%spandex, lightweight and comfortable
- Pull on closure, plus size, solid color, high waist, loose fit, trumpet style trouser legs
Best Plus Size Shorts For Daily Wear
- PLUS SIZING: Please reference our size charts
- Super comfy, this soft cotton short is a summer must-have. A full elastic waistband has a comfortable fit every time you wear them, and a mock fly with button closure creates the look of a classic denim short. Made with side seam pockets.
Have you found the best plus size shorts that you love? Can you think of any items that need to be added to our list of the best shorts for plus size women? Share with us in the comment section below.